Climate Crisis

Climate Crisis

Recurring record breaking weather events such as fires, hurricanes, and flooding have become common news. Pollinators like monarch butterflies and honey bees are in decline. Research now indicates that North America's bird population has decreased by 30% in 40 years. And NEWSFLASH! You can be part of the solution.

Take Action

+  3 BillionBIrds.ORG #BringBirdsBack
    -----------------------------------------------
+  Million Pollinator Gardens Network
    -----------------------------------------------



Friday, February 16, 2018

Great Backyard Bird Count - Just Getting Started

Happy Friday all!

I just submitted my first checklist as part of the 2018 Great Backyard Bird Count. This morning was mostly a bust. It was quite windy; my assumption is that the birds were largely hunkered down this morning. The feeders were blowing around...the highlight of the morning was a Downy Woodpecker male and a Hairy Woodpecker female.

These are two lookalike species, so I thought I'd jump into that quickly. Here are some pics I took back in 2016 which illustrate the difference.


Hairy woodpeckers are larger, they take up most of my double suet cake feeder.


Downy Woodpeckers are significantly smaller but have very similar markings.

The difference between the two species is most apparent when you can see the side by side. It's also worth noting the Hairy Woodpecker is equipped with a larger beak.

Also in case you are interested in seeing how the Great Backyard Bird Count is going, they shared a pretty cool live map. Happy birding all! I'll update things as I submit more checklists.

No comments:

Post a Comment