Climate Crisis

Climate Crisis

Recurring record breaking weather events such as fires, hurricanes, and flooding have become common news. Pollinators like monarch butterflies and honey bees are in decline. Research now indicates that North America's bird population has decreased by 30% in 40 years. And NEWSFLASH! You can be part of the solution.

Take Action

+  3 BillionBIrds.ORG #BringBirdsBack
    -----------------------------------------------
+  Million Pollinator Gardens Network
    -----------------------------------------------



Sunday, April 15, 2018

Post Crane Count Snow

As I detailed yesterday's Crane Count in a post, the snow fell. It continued to fall through the night. It's continued to fall as I write this post. And it's expected to continue to fall until evening.

The plows are not out.

And I have not shoveled.

I did however refill the bird feeders this morning.

This has supported the usual suspects, and for most of the day, we've had American Goldfinches, House Finches, Morning Doves, Dark Eyed Juncos, Black Capped Chickadees, and American Tree Sparrows.

It is to the best my recollection, the first time I've seen the male Goldfinches in full yellow mode during a snowstorm. During the fall and winter they are a more drab brown like the females. As spring returns so does their bright yellow plumage.


More interesting to watch has been the American Robins. They had already polished off the remaining berries in my Nannyberry Viburnums and my Highbush Cranberries during our somewhat cold March. They scouted the shrubs this morning looking for any remaining.

There were none.

And so I had a couple try something I hadn't seen before.



This Robin had been digging in the safflower feeder.


And this one appeared to be trying to eat sunflower seeds.

For as miserable as yesterday's weather was, I'm glad the Crane Count was yesterday and not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment